• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

20.1 pro amp advice

ZeeW64

Hi,

First post here. I have a small home studio measuring 6m(L) x 4m(W) x 3.5m(H) with a studio desk against the narrow back wall. I use the studio for electric guitar recording, play back and listening to music.

My signal chain is UAD Apollo 8 into a guitar modeller (Axe Fx II XL) and into a pair of Genelec 824A monitors. I use GLM software for volume control and room correction.

Some time ago I remember listening to a pair of Rogers LS3/5a and some Linn Kans and I remember being very impressed by these monitors.

I would use my Apollo 8 as a DAC, but I need some advice / guidance on a power amp to power the 20.1 monitors. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

willem

I have both the LS3/5a and the Harbeth P3ESR (technically identical to the M20.1 apart from the consumer style connections, I believe). The P3ESR is clearly superior to the LS3/5a. I drive the P3ESRs in my desktop system in a somewhat smaller study with a refurbished 2x100 watt Quad 405/2 as a power amp. I would not want less power. In your case you want balanced inputs, of course. I recently bought a 250 watt Yamaha P2500s pro audio power amplifier for my son, and we are very happy with it. That model has now been discontinued, but you may still be able to find one for a modest sum.

witwald

By coincidence, a recent issue of Sound on Sound magazine covered some possible options for amplification for use with passive monitors.

In the Rotel range, there are two quite nice options that I feel would suit your application very well:
  1. RB-1552 Mk II, with 2 x 120 watts (20Hz-20kHz, <0.03% THD, 8 Ohms).
  2. RB-1582 Mk II, with 2 x 200 watts (20Hz-20kHz, <0.03% THD, 8 Ohms).
On both models, input options are balanced XLR or unbalanced RCA connectors, which should easily match a professional audio recording set up such as yours.

IMF+TDL

ZeeW64 said:
I have a small home studio measuring 6m(L) x 4m(W) x 3.5m(H) with a studio desk against the narrow back wall. I use the studio for electric guitar recording, play back and listening to music.
My signal chain is UAD Apollo 8 into a guitar modeller (Axe Fx II XL) and into a pair of Genelec 824A monitors. I use GLM software for volume control and room correction.
I would use my Apollo 8 as a DAC, but I need some advice / guidance on a power amp to power the 20.1 monitors. Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Although you don't need a radio tuner or a preamp, the Yamaha R-S202 will give you a 100W+ output amp for only $120 (USD):
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s202/index.html
The UK market has the A-S201 integrated amp, which omits the tuner:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s201/index.html

rmallo

willem said:
I have both the LS3/5a and the Harbeth P3ESR (technically identical to the M20.1 apart from the consumer style connections, I believe). The P3ESR is clearly superior to the LS3/5a. I drive the P3ESRs in my desktop system in a somewhat smaller study with a refurbished 2x100 watt Quad 405/2 as a power amp. I would not want less power. In your case you want balanced inputs, of course. I recently bought a 250 watt Yamaha P2500s pro audio power amplifier for my son, and we are very happy with it. That model has now been discontinued, but you may still be able to find one for a modest sum.
+1 on the Quad 405-2. I have one powering a pair of M20 and I'm very happy with it. The only caveat if you use it is the input sensitivity, which is pretty high and can be sent into clipping with more modern equipment (especially used with professional levels of +4 dBu).