• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

C7-ES3 or Monitor 30.1 for piano/female vocal

Mike82

I am looking at the 7 and 30.1 for my system to replace my trusty Dynaudio Focus 110. The 110 has been a great speaker, but I'm in a larger room now and need something larger. My listening tastes place piano and female vocal at the top for consideration. Best guess is the 30.1 for voice and the C7 for piano, but maybe my idea is off. Assoc equipment Exposure 3010S2 pre-amp and 3010S2 stereo power-amp, Rega Saturn-R, and Pro-Ject t-t/Ortofon Red.

I know "trust your own ears" , but I'd still like your thoughts anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Don Leman

I have a preference for the Monitor 30.1 over the Compact 7ES3, particularly for the genre of music you listen to. The Monitor 30.1 uses the same tweeter and mid/woofer as the Monitor 40 and to me has a more refined sound.

What I have experienced comparing both speakers in the store was a more introvert and analytical presentation of the m30.1.

C7es3 was more engaging for me and filled the 30 m2 square room better with a bigger soundstage with a slightly warmer tonal balance.

An important issue for me was a listening distance of 4 meters from the speakers. I have no idea if this is an objective qualification but it was my perception, Would be nice to know Mr. Shaw's objective opinion but he will not -burn his fingers-(?) on a subject like this I think..

A.S.

Harbeth UK
Staff member
Ah ha! Surprised you!

Before I comment, are we talking about the Anniversary C7ES3 and standard M30.1?

I am !
Haven't heard the anniversary version, just the normal C7ES3 vs. standard M 30.1.
For the right perspective, my memories go back to a listening session 4 years ago.

But your opinion about both anniversary versions would also be interesting to know.

A.S.

Harbeth UK
Staff member
Ummmm. Boy, that session must have made a real impact on you!

The sales figures of the various models tell their own story I guess. It is true that the M30 series are a big hit, but I was amazed at the KJWO launch event last year and again at the Bristol show this year just how beguiling the Anniversary C7 is.

Actually, the ideal position for me is to have such an intimate respect for the data insight that my test equipment gives me of a new design that I really don't need to spend more than 30 minutes listening to music on it before authorising it for production. But the starting point is a very high bar so one doesn't have to go through all that exhausting neurosis of fiddling about with capacitor and resistors in ever increasing circles late into the night.

So experiencing the Anniversary C7ES3 playing a selection of music in an unfamiliar room with unfamiliar gear is like a blind date that just couldn't have gone better! Lovely.

Last edited:
o no.. I listen to three samples and after 15 minutes ( two times quicker ;)) I am gone.
Bought recently the C7es2 and I could live with these knowing noting about the ES3, maybe I go for the C7 trilogy now !

A.S.

Harbeth UK
Staff member
Your C7ES2 are fine speakers. I worked hard over many months to create them. But, as I said, the standard ES3 set a high bar for the development of the Anniversary edition. There are detailed changes in the network which smooth out and fill-in small lumps and bumps in the frequency response for a flatter, more accurate sound output across the audio range.

That said, the ES2 is capable of giving many years of service in the same way that a 15 year old Mercedes is not the very latest model but still damned good because it was made well.

hifi_dave

The C7ES3 and M30.1 are both excellent speakers with the natural presentation Harbeth are known for but they do sound different. So, you should audition both and make the choice. However, the Anniversary C7ES3 is rather special and not much more than the M30.1 and that would be my choice.

cookster

What I have experienced comparing both speakers in the store was a more introvert and analytical presentation of the m30.1.

C7es3 was more engaging for me and filled the 30 m2 square room better with a bigger soundstage with a slightly warmer tonal balance.
My experience exactly, love the C7es3