• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

Do I need to pay attention to my DAC choice?

BAS-H

I was able to diminish a significant peak at 80 Hz in my room by changing the height of the speaker stands.
Did you change purely the height, or the stands themselves, and by so doing, their coupling to a possibly resonant floor?

willem

The rme ADI-2 dac is not an automatic equalization system like the various Antimodes. It has a few programmable filters but you have to set them yourself. This means that you first have to measure the in room response to find the worst peaks and then program the dac's filters to reduce those peaks. I measured in room response with the REW software and a cheap Umik-1calibrated microphone.
This DAC only has three filters below 200 Hz so it is limited to curing the worst offenders. In my case this was only necessary for the main speakers because I equalize the subwoofers with a separate Antimode 8033.
So all in all the rme dac is not nearly as convenient and versatile as an Antimode X4 but the latter costs four times more. For what it is it is exceptional quality and value.
If you already have a good dac the better minidsp units would be an alternative.
And Alan is right that this is all about the room. My room is quite large so I only have serious issues below about 120 Hz, the Schroeder frequency of this room. In a smaller room the issues would extend up to perhaps 200 Hz.

tIANcI

The rme ADI-2 dac is not an automatic equalization system like the various Antimodes. It has a few programmable filters but you have to set them yourself. This means that you first have to measure the in room response to find the worst peaks and then program the dac's filters to reduce those peaks. I measured in room response with the REW software and a cheap Umik-1calibrated microphone.
This DAC only has three filters below 200 Hz so it is limited to curing the worst offenders. In my case this was only necessary for the main speakers because I equalize the subwoofers with a separate Antimode 8033.
So all in all the rme dac is not nearly as convenient and versatile as an Antimode X4 but the latter costs four times more. For what it is it is exceptional quality and value.
If you already have a good dac the better minidsp units would be an alternative.
And Alan is right that this is all about the room. My room is quite large so I only have serious issues below about 120 Hz, the Schroeder frequency of this room. In a smaller room the issues would extend up to perhaps 200 Hz.
Sometimes I wonder if we need a 31 band parametric EQ. 😬

Ned Mast

BAS-H, I changed the height of the stands only. My floor, being concrete slab covered by ceramic tile, is pretty much non-resonant (I would think). But I do use a soft interface between the speakers and the stands and between the stands and the floor. (The area in front of and behind the speakers is covered by carpets).
Once I had determined what seemed the optimum height for the stands, I had a friend make me - out of cherry wood - stands of the decided upon height. Measurements with the new stands showed that the peak at 80 Hz remained much diminished.