• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

'Holographic sound' thanks to cables? Believe it.

B

boland7214

Different cable materials

Different cable materials

{Can we} come to agree{ment} on a common sense view of speaker cables and interconnects and the OBVIOUS sonic difference between them in regard to the varialbes of transparency, holographic imaging and frequency emphasis or de-emphasis for highs and lows of different audio cables made out of different materials, then we could all sleep more soundly at night and have less needless aggravation for the lot of us!

In this regard, if we could come to agree on the following this would put the matter to rest: From much experience testing cables.....experience and commone sense indicates that CABLES MADE OF DIFFERENT MATERIALS LIKE SILVER, like COPPER, like OXYGEN FREE COPPER, like COPPER DIPPED IN SILVER WILL HAVE DIFFERENT SONIC PROPERTIES. Can we at least agree on this last sentence as above ........based on rational thinking and common sense?

In mathematical terms: Proposition #1----- A = B where A is the over all list of possible sound variables and B is a specific material used to carry the sound.....and, in comparison........Proposition #2--- A DOES NOT = B where A is the over all list of sound variables and B is NOT the same material as in #1 used to carry the sound. It's very simple...or it seems that way to most people on this side of "The Pond". When someone states: No matter the differing materials used or the different manufacturing techniques....IN EVERY CASE NO MATTER WHAT MATERIALS OR MANUFACTURING TECHIQUES ARE USED........ THE RESULTING SOUND WILL BE "CONSTANT" (THE SAME)...EVEN THOUGH THE PROCESS AND MATERIALS ARE NOT THE SAME...... WITH RESPECT------THIS SOUNDS A BIT DAFF TO MOST OF US OVER HERE....NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.

Cheers, John Boland

{Moderator's comment: No we cannot under any circumstances agree with your outrageous claim that 'different materials, different sound'. There is no justification whatever in that nonsense. You are just creating contentious comments merely to elicit a reaction. Taken to that ridiculous extreme you would have to evaluate the physical make-up of every electrical junction (solder joint, wire, pcb track, semiconductor P-N junction etc.) from the microphone to the loudspeaker voice coils i.e. sub-atomic physics.}

thurston

Common sense will win

Common sense will win

As we see this will be an ongoing war. However: before the HUG or Mr. Shaw completely loose believe in mankind let me tell you. All your work is not completely lost: My own doubts about cables and their sound-signatures were finally put to rest with their writings here. So: thank you.

@bolland:
I think the perceived differences have nothing to do with "the pond". The theory is existant here and everywhere on the world as well. But think about your "different material" hence "different sound" idea: If a cable made such a difference then, under other circumstances measurements of, say a geiger-counter, would differ whether copper or silver cables were used within that machine. The electrical information-transport within the cable happens just the same with music.

Still: I can live with you believing in cable-sound, but I doubt that Harbeth will leave that idea here on the forum when at the same time they try to get people back from esoteric audio ideas onto the safe ground of simple physics and common sense.

thurston

Metal-dependent electricity! New sensation!

Metal-dependent electricity! New sensation!

Other idea about the cable material: What happens in speaker-cables is just the same as in every electric cable. If the material made a difference then there would be different sorts of electricity coming out of these cables: Copper-electricity, silver-electricity and so on.

Nothing like that is the case, whatever cable is used. If it works it results in electricity going trough it. That´s it.

Kumar Kane

Coming soon! Miracle cables.

Coming soon! Miracle cables.

B is a specific material used to carry the sound
Cables, made of any material, be it A,B,C...Z, do not carry sound. They conduct electricity. That is all they are required to do in an audio system, in which the only sound carrier is air set in motion by vibration of the speaker cone.

All of your posts amount to trolling, please desist. It isn't even funny any more. Or is this a new marketing approach for a soon to be announced by you miracle cable?

{Moderator's comment. We are in a real quandary over the posts you refer to. There are evidently 'issues' and permitting this to degenerate into entertainment and ridicule is not decent. Maybe we should draw a line now as you suggest. Thoughts?}

Pluto

Obviously physics has no place in cables

Obviously physics has no place in cables

{Can we} come to agree{ment} on a common sense view of speaker cables and interconnects and the OBVIOUS sonic difference between them in regard to the varialbes of transparency, holographic imaging and frequency emphasis or de-emphasis for highs and lows of different audio cables made out of different materials, then we could all sleep more soundly at night and have less needless aggravation for the lot of us!
Why not subscribe to wholly ridiculous view that the 'sound' of any cabling system will be mainly dependent on the values of inductance, capacitance & resistance within that cable and its interaction with the circuit of which the cabling forms a part?

S

stevieshep

Music first, not equipment

Music first, not equipment

Maybe John it would be wise to not argue your point any more regarding cables, it doesn't seem to be doing anyone any good. Maybe just let it rest and go back to enjoying your hifi system and most importantly the music and if you like what your cables do for you that's great, but just keep it your little secret and enjoy it.

Im not trying to offend you but you seem to be trying to push your views a bit too far and it does seem a bit suspicious to me.

Kumar Kane

Moderator step in please

Moderator step in please

{Moderator's comment. We are in a real quandary over the posts you refer to. There are evidently 'issues' and permitting this to degenerate into entertainment and ridicule is not decent. Maybe we should draw a line now as you suggest. Thoughts?}
I think it is high time to draw the line. What other forum moderators do in such instances is stop feeding the trolls by replying to their posts and/or ban the member from the forum. There are plenty of other places/fora where these conversations are more apt, that I shall not bother naming.

anonymous

Odd advice from a restless seller?

Odd advice from a restless seller?

I'd be most interested in finding out if this was the same John Boland:

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=critics&n=31672&[email protected]&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?author=boland7214%40aol.com&user_id=42033&forum=ALL&sortRank=None&sort=date&sortOrder=DESC&r=

And if it is, what made you change your mind, John?

Because John lists his phone number in his postings, a quick search turned up all of his Audiogon "Wanted to buy" requests. I also noticed you're selling these selfsame cables that you touted as being so great. (EDIT - I did notice his note in the listing stating that he has two sets of them and is selling one set that he doesn't need.)

No offense intended, John, but you seem to be going through a restless period. There's no shame in it, but I think it would be best if you would stop trying to convince the rest of us to agree with you and leave the matter alone, assuming the moderator doesn't step in.

Kumar Kane

Cable basic conductivity

Cable basic conductivity

A digression, but I thought it isn't worth a new thread.

Given that all that cables need to do in audio is to conduct electricity efficiently, what will be the outcome if the cable conductivity isn't the best? Will it degrade the sound quality or will it just result in lower sound output from the speakers? And if the latter, can one compensate by using a thicker cross section of the poorer conductivity cable?

G

Gregl

Cables more than amp?

Cables more than amp?

Holographic imaging you spent more money on cables than your amp. Maybe the holographic sound is coming from magic mush-----?

{Moderator's comment: That can't be right! Nobody would spend more on cables than absolutely necessary - would they?}

Cyreg

Different view on cabling!

Different view on cabling!

Just for a different view on cabling matters!

OK, one easily can overreward the different cabling resulting in the different endresult of the audiosound. But here and now I get the impression that suggested is that there are no sound differences at all with different cabling?

IMO different cabling (interlinks, LScable and power cabling) will sound less or more (for me) different.

I assume I am not alone in this opinion

Pluto

Cable software model

Cable software model

Given that all that cables need to do in audio is to conduct electricity efficiently, what will be the outcome if the cable conductivity isn't the best? Will it degrade the sound quality or will it just result in lower sound output from the speakers? And if the latter, can one compensate by using a thicker cross section of the poorer conductivity cable?
For quite a nice speaker cable modelling app., see this page.

G

Gregl

Holographic sound - where?

Holographic sound - where?

I'm still like trying to figure out 'holographic imaging'. Is that the message for Princess Liea from cp3o.

I'm not sure I've got holographic imaging from a set of copper. But I wish I didn't have to spend money on good electronics to get good sound. I could have gone to best buy and got a 100 integrated. I wish I knew the brand of the amp ill sell all my gear and get one.

G

Gregl

I just need to know are you really using a 100 amplifier on your harbeth speakers. If so the volume pot probably cost 20 cents. And cables will not fix that or the tin tracers used in the cardboard circuit boards and the chip amp used as the amplifier.

G

Gregl

This is just a general post about holographic sound because this post has been beat to DEATH

TIP 1: Go out and buy all the Porcupine Tree cd's or albums doesn't matter there recordings are marvellous. Music even better. Then you will get all of the holographic magic mushroom sound you will ever want. Cable brand optional.

G

Gregl

Audio jewellery

Audio jewellery

I'm not losing any sleep your wrong and it's misleading I will put my homemade cables with no solder against any cable. Good wire with a good connection is all you need. I've worked in the Audio industry for a decade and I would rather somebody buy music than exotic cables. I don't know what is so difficult about understanding how electrons flow. You cannot change them to change the sound. It's just audio jewellery. In our shop we make cables with nice wire and nice connectors. I like the Eichman bullets no solder. On speaker wire nice copper good shield and crimping. We did sell cables that were very expensive. I DID NOT. I sold the ones I made 6 ft pair speaker with nice copper spades 29.95. Actually the best connection is bare wire to the binding post. But if you change cables a lot and some people do the wire can break over time that's why I use a nice spade or banana plug ENOUGH SAID.

G

Gregl

The sure signs of madness

The sure signs of madness

Number one equals A but B equals no2 but A and B does not mean c or holographic sound or imagery or that the two A & B are variables of the alphabet which means A through Z equals different materials and shielding compounds of the factor of A=B
Whoooo finished. Did he just say all that----

G

Gregl

England: the real world

England: the real world

Amen thurston. Driving me crazy. And I worked and trained in England as a tennis pro and teacher. I think the British are very smart and sensible. And they also make some of the best audio in the world. I love my SME 10 I've had in for 13 years with just regular maintenance it's provided me with hours of enjoyment. And I'm so proud to own Harbeth Super 5's and I can't tell you how fabulous these gems are.

I'm sleep deprived but not sound deprived. Oh and all my cables cost less that 150 dollars. I did not make my phono cable but still use the stock Van den Hul cable that came with the sme10 arm. My buddies say trash that piece of crap but when they come over they say my system is so awesome.