• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

To toe-in or not to toe-in, that is the question.

mormerod

I recently upgraded to a pair of SHL5+ 40th Anniversary from some 30.1’s in conjunction with moving my system to a larger room (33ft x 18.5ft). The room is pretty much a blank canvas and I have the luxury of positioning my speakers and listening position where I want. I’m starting using Jim Smiths recommendation of the distance between the speakers 83% of that compared to the distance to the listening position. I typically toe-in my speakers but recently saw a video by the guys at PS Audio where they stated they don’t like toe-in and prefer to move the speakers closer together to achieve a better sound stage.
Thoughts?

witwald

If the speakers are "hot" on axis, then not toeing them in will provide a little bit of high-frequency relief, as you will effectively be listening off-axis. If the speakers are nominally flat on axis, then toeing them in will enable you to hear the designed-in spectral balance. Also, it will provide a little bit less excitation of higher-frequency room reflections, which could help stabilise the stereo imaging a little bit.

rolase

Look at the Harbeth Blog Tech Talk. Alan Shaw is there talking about Speakers in rooms and toe-in of speakers. Next step is to think about wether you want to have the best sound at one single position in the room like a mastering engineer in a studio or wether you prefer listening at more and different positions in the room or even you want to move around during listening. Then you will found a lot of very different information about speaker placement from different people like recording engineers, recording studio builders and room acoustics advisors. After all it is your task to make decisions and listen. You will find a speaker placement calculator in the www. Your room is big with a lot of possibilities to try and listen.