• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

UK's European Union membership referendum 2016 (Brexit).

Milosz

If parliament wants a deal only Brexit, then they are labeled as traitors for not allowing the results of the referendum.
No one including the likes of Farage and Johnson advertised no-deal Brexit in the pre-referendum campaign so you couldn’t be more wrong. All those Brexit campaigners promised a wonderful agreement preceding UK withdrawal from the EU. Possibility of no-deal Brexit was not even mentioned in the pre-referendum campaign. So in fact no-deal Brexit would be against the results of the poll and democracy itself.

Last edited:

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
No one including the likes of Farage and Johnson advertised no-deal Brexit in the pre-referendum campaign so you couldn’t be more wrong. All those Brexit campaigners promised a wonderful agreement preceding UK withdrawal from the EU. So in fact no-deal Brexit would be against the results of the referendum and democracy itself.
This is indeed the point, and in a fast moving matter like Brexit, easily forgotten.

If you want to remind yourself of the utopia promised, you only have to look backwards through this very thread. As I recall, sitting as I am outside author Thomas Hardy’s study, if you re-read Dr. Fox’s assurances at around the time of the referendum, and I think I can quote, the UK would receive “exactly the same benefits” after departing the EU and that ‘the negotiations with the EU would be the easiest in history’. I’m sure I would have commented at the time, impossible BS. And here we are and it is even more impossible. Why would it be anything else?

Milosz

This is indeed the point, and in a fast moving matter like Brexit, easily forgotten.

If you want to remind yourself of the utopia promised, you only have to look backwards through this very thread. As I recall, sitting as I am outside author Thomas Hardy’s study, if you re-read Dr. Fox’s assurances at around the time of the referendum, and I think I can quote, the UK would receive “exactly the same benefits” after departing the EU and that ‘the negotiations with the EU would be the easiest in history’. I’m sure I would have commented at the time, impossible BS. And here we are and it is even more impossible. Why would it be anything else?
I know that a good, balanced agreement takes two to tango. So if such agreement is not possible at the moment, the only way to ensure that conscious decision is made and democracy preserved is to ask the electorate again if they prefer a no-deal Brexit or staying in the EU. Second referendum is the only way to cut this Gordian knot.

Last edited:

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I was right about last week being monumental. It was. But I was wrong to think that common sense has visited our PM. Far from it: he and his ‘strategic advisor’, the anarchist Cummings are digging in. This is going to be a very, very long battle.

When down here in rural Somerset, 140 miles from London, one overhears two old ladies in a coffee shop chatting that they have lost all confidence in politicians (to deliver Brexit) and “as far as I am concerned, they should ALL be lined up and shot”, you appreciate the disconnect with socio-economic reality in our society.

I was considering that if I was granted just 60 seconds to make a counter argument that would at least leave the two of them with something to mull over, what would it be? I ran through a number of pragmatic considerations such as exporting difficulties, importing impediments, rotting vegetables and so on before appreciating the complete an utter waste of energy. Nothing would work.

This mess will only be containable when the youngsters have gravitated to political power. We oldies are a lost generation.

allthumbs

I wouldn't be surprised if Boris Johnson was interested in urging a rapid devolution of Northern Ireland and a United Ireland in its place
on his recent visit to Eire.

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
Documents warning of food, fuel and medicine shortages after a no-deal Brexit should be kept secret because they will scare people, a government minister says. Andrea Leadsom, the business secretary, signalled Boris Johnson will defy parliament’s order to release the Operation Yellowhammer dossier – arguing the public was better left in the dark.

“I actually do not think that it serves people well to see what is the absolutely worst thing that can happen,” Ms Leadsom said.
. Here:

ssfas

It was originally called the "base" scenario and is now relabelled "reasonable worst case".

Basically, the poor will starve, the ill will have to walk to hospital for lack of petrol where there will be no medicines, the UK will become a lorry park and when there is a flu epidemic the rest of us will die.

So it's all going to be OK because we're British and we got through the Blitz. Put the kettle on.

I'll be OK because I have an electric car, I'm stockpiling coffee and my garden is large enough to graze a cow or two. Plus I need to lose weight.

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
There will be more sad examples and not just confined to the audio industry.

Public humiliation of Our Great Leader has started. Only five weeks in?

Here.

The heckling in the first video must be really difficult for Mr. Johnson to cope with. Surely everybody loves him?

allthumbs

"Lord Heseltine speaks up for former PM David Cameron. "

Given recent events and the muted response from the Tory party, Cameron should have removed the whip from those Brexiteers he inherited right from the start?