• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

Used Compact 7s' Odd Radial Cone - Genuine Radial Cone?

able_cho

Hello from south Korea..
I'm new to HUG, but already owning a pair of P3ESRs, and I also recently bought a pair of used HL Compact 7s.

The problem is, my new bought Compact 7s' radial cones are somewhat "odd" looking. I know I should have checked on these radial cones from the seller's, but I was just so excited about their looks...

Attached are the photos I took. In my understanding, the surrounding of the radial cone should say "HARBETH A2". When I took the woofers out, there were letters saying "HARBETH" on one of the 4 "pillars" that holds the cone on the woofer. I searched on the internet and found out that my Compact 7s' woofers are very similar to C7ES2s' woofers.

Now I'm guessing that my Compact 7s' woofers are replaced... with whether ES2s' woofers or some weird rubber woofer. I would be very sad if they are. Can anyone tell?
By the way, they sound nothing like my P3ESRs - a divine sweetness and cuddling warmth. Well that was my first clue.

Attachments only viewable to members

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
These are first generation Compact 7s, probably 20+ years old. Everything reported looks perfectly normal.

dhart86

I have a pair of Compact 7 es2 and recently blew a driver(woofer). I was wondering if a replacment driver is availble for my long standing favorite speaker?

able_cho

Thanks for reply, Alan.

Do you mean that there are some old Compact 7s with no letters on the surrounding of the woofers from the production level? It will be a huge relief if that's true.

Otherwise, I am seriously considering letting this old one go and purchasing a new one, but I wanna make sure before..

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
able_cho said:
Thanks for reply, Alan.

Do you mean that there are some old Compact 7s with no letters on the surrounding of the woofers from the production level? It will be a huge relief if that's true.

Otherwise, I am seriously considering letting this old one go and purchasing a new one, but I wanna make sure before..
I have no idea. I would think that the original woofers may have been replaced with slightly later ones. If the speakers work well I strongly suggest you stop worrying and enjoy the music.

There is no fundamental mechanism why 20 year old Harbeth speakers should not work well. Speakers of that vintage would have used the latest long-life adhesives in their construction, and historically it was the failure of glue joints using the previous generations of contact adhesives which shortened the life of loudspeaker systems.

able_cho

After some research I've concluded that the woofer edges (rubber) are replaced with new ones but the radial cones are authentic. Not sure if the edge rubber parts matter much in orchestrating Harbeth sound, but I agree that only I can decide whether it sounds good or bad.

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
If it would make you sleep better. I'd be happy to sell your importer a pair of brand new Harbeth RADIAL drive units on an exchange basis. I would guess that the price to you would be perhaps USD1000.

Personally, I'd rather that you donated the money to a public charity in Korea.

able_cho

A.S. said:
If it would make you sleep better. I'd be happy to sell your importer a pair of brand new Harbeth RADIAL drive units on an exchange basis. I would guess that the price to you would be perhaps USD1000.

Personally, I'd rather that you donated the money to a public charity in Korea.
I agree. For now I have no intention to put a brand new woofer cones on these C7s. I am letting them go and will just settle for my beautiful P3ESRs. Maybe later I will go for Monitor 30.1 or 30.2 since I've heard they are very close to P3ESRs.

Thanks you.