• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

Which amp do you use with 30.1 and why?

richard 51

I have an all naim system. Originally 200/202 but now 282 with hi-cap dr and 250dr amp. It does work very well with my 30.1. Most of my listening is at relatively low levels but plenty of controlled power if I do turn it up

Tudor

I'm an old Harbeth speaker owner. Throughout this time I have found that more important than the power of the amplifier is its matching with the speakers. I had very good results with a "small" Croft Phono Integrated amplifier (2 x 45 watts at 8 ohm) and now I use with my Harbeths M 30.1 a PrimaLuna Premium Integrated Amplifier (2 x 50 watt with KT 150 tubes) and I am very excited about the sound. I also had a Luxman L 505u solid state amplifier (2 x 100 watts in 8 ohms) but in my opinion Croft and PrimaLuna are a much better choice for Harbeth, despite their lower power (on the paper). So, I think is much more important how the amplifier really sounds with the speaker than its power on the paper. And yes, every amplifier sounds different...

Tudor

I'm an old Harbeth speaker owner. Throughout this time I have found that more important than the power of the amplifier is its matching with the speakers. I had very good results with a small Croft Phono Integrated amplifier (2 x 45 watts at 8 ohm) and now I use with my Harbets M 30.1 a PrimaLuna Premium Integrated Amplifier (2 x 50 watt with KT 150 tubes) and I am very excited about the sound. I also had a Luxman L 505u solid state amplifier (2 x 100 watts in 8 ohms) but in my opinion Croft and PrimaLuna are a much better choice for Harbeth, despite their lower power (on the paper).

PapaMax

The Quad QSP powers my pair of 30.1 speakers. Bought second hand, this amplifier never seems stretched, with ample reserves of power. I tried the speakers with a Marantz PM6005 and found the clarity was closed in and the dynamic range compromised on proper recordings.

Leon42

I use a Line Magnetic LM-805IA with 48W SET power using the 805 triodes and it sounds (and looks) sensational. Wouldn't change it for anything anytime soon.

watchdog

Hello everyone. I have a number of amps at my disposal, so here are my thoughts on their match with the M30.1. In all cases, these are paired with an Antelope Zodiac Platinum DAC as a source / preamplifier

Leben CS-300XS - I understand that the Leben is supposed to be a good match for the Harbeth. I didn't quite find this to be so, with this combination sounding nice with vocals and simple material, but simply having too little power and falling apart at higher volumes. The tone is a bit thick for the M30.1, and you do get a feeling that you are getting a rose-tinted view of the world.

First Watt F7 - The highly illuminated sound of the F7 is a good match, but again there is insufficient power for average listening volumes IMO. I don't listen very loud, so that is telling you something.

Accuphase A-36 power amp - Although this is only slightly more powerful than the F7 on paper, listening to this is a wholly different ball game. It has enough current and drive to handle the M30.1 .If you go for loud listening levels, you will run out of steam.

Virtue Audio M5001 - 250 WPC Class D amp with a tube buffer designed by the late Gary Dodd. Very good match with plenty of grunt and nice tone. (My favourite)

Mivera Audio AS1200AS2 - 600 WPC Class D amp. Arguably less firm tone than the Virtue Audio but otherwise good tone, control and grunt.

The above amplifiers are from my personal collection and are based on long term listening. If there is any interest, I can try some of my other amplifiers. It may surprise some people that Class D amplifiers were a good match with the Harbeth. I know some find them clinical, bleached out and flat. But my listening experience suggests otherwise.

SCPB1967

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd chip in here. Hopefully it may help someone out at some point. I have owned or had long term use of the following amplifiers with my M30.1s:

Marantz PM6006 UK Edition
Cambridge Azur 851a
Cambridge Azur 851e & 851w (pre-ppwer)
Sugden Masterclass IA4
Cambridge CXA80 (currently own)
Chord TT2 driving speakers directly from the balanced outputs (currently own)

First things first, for me it's all about the measurements... Apologies if that disappoints anyone but if you have the (considerable) time & willingness to hunt down any available tests/measurements & maybe do a few simple checks on voltage output/clipping etc as mentioned many times within this helpful forum, you find light at the end of what can be a very expensive tunnel.

In every case the perceived difference is small (again apologies to hardened audiophiles) & related to measurements in some way. The Marantz was good.
The Cambridge models all clean, clear & measuring well with regard to various types of distortion. Azur models powerful but have got to say the CXA80 is fantastic value in my opinion.

The Sugden is heavy, hot, class A & I always wanted to own one. Made just down the road in Heckmondwike. Wonderful. However..... Within the limits of it's output the TT2 is the 'purer' amplifier.

Just for info, I am sat only 1.9m from the M30.1s & listening at peaks of 75dB only which gives around 10dB headroom worst case with the TT2. If I weren't a penny pinching Yorkshireman I would likely buy a matching Chord or Benchmark amp with similar measurements but for now am happy to use the CXA80 if I need a 'noisy neighbour' moment.

I guess, as has been said many times here before, buy a well built, good measuring & well supported amplifier with enough power to suit your listening needs.

Again, as has been stated many times, your Harbeth speakers will sound wonderful with any competently designed amplifier.

The now older & wiser Yorkshireman in me would advise his younger self to save the pennies & if the rainy day comes or it's burning a hole in your pocket, spend them on M30.2s, wine, women & good food. For now I am more than happy with my M30.1s & a bottle of red.

Thank you & don't you be thinking about retirement yet Mr Shaw.

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
That's a terrific post, welcome to HUG.

Is it just me or are there days when you look out onto the world through rain streaming down the window glass, hear the latest frightening global news, ruminate that statistically, half the people you pass in the street have views very different to your own about security/economics/pragmatism etc. and long for the day when you can retire? The really odd thing is that the risk aversion mindset of a stable society, manifest right through the design and manufacturing process at Harbeth, seems to be challenged at every turn. Out with safe, reliable, repeatable, honest-to-goodness value: in with hyperbole and the adventure of the unknown. I cannot understand it. It's alien to me.

It is a well known fact that most of the owner/managers of remaining UK audio brands are in their 60s. I suspect that the challenges of the coming few months here in the UK, magnified by difficulties in great export markets for their products (the latest being Hong Kong) will see a significant change in ownership. My advice to anyone 'with a hole to burn in your pocket' (as you say) is to spend rather sooner than later. Prices are at an all time low now and can only rise, perhaps dramatically.

Last edited:

lcrosse

Just bought a pair 30.2s and my first impression is how incredibly 'fluid' they sound.
Source is a Cyrus CDi and amplifier is a restored QUAD 520F.
They make wonderful music.
Liam

henk70

The now older & wiser Yorkshireman in me would advise his younger self to save the pennies & if the rainy day comes or it's burning a hole in your pocket, spend them on M30.2s, wine, women & good food. For now I am more than happy with my M30.1s & a bottle of red.
Great advice and happy with my new M30.2 and a bottle of white ( Vermentino) and in my case one women.
I use them with the Quad Elite integrated and Glenn Gould pulls me into the piano ! ( I love these direct recordings)
Consider a Quad QSP for more control in my 40m2 room.