• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

Which streaming service for music?

A.S.

Administrator
Staff member
WhatHiFi magazine (UK) Jan. 2016 edition (whathifi.com) has a comparison of various streaming sevices, including Naim, Linn and B&W's which looks interesting.

Also, incredible though it is to be reading this after hyping vinyl for the last decade, an astonishing article (p82) "Digitise your vinyl", concluding "... And the final stage? Sit back and enjoy."

Surely that proves that digital is adequately neutral and transparent so that it can hold the entire audio information from vinyl without ruining the playback experience? Who would ever have thought it! I'm speechless. We've been saying that here for a very long time.

fcracer

WhatHiFi - adapting to commercial reality

WhatHiFi - adapting to commercial reality

Sadly, these magazines are nothing more than a catalogue with some words thrown in here and there.

The only magazines I bother with are stereophile and hifi news because they at least publish objective measurements (which btw rarely corelate with the written prose). It's clear their customers have moved onto digital and now they have no choice but to enter this decade.

royals1871

Streaming for me!

Streaming for me!

I've been streaming Audio for 7-8 yrs, starting with Linn's early DS', buying and selling all their various flavours of DS. I've now settled with a 'cheap' record player, a secondhand Naim Unitiqute (this handles all types of analog and digital audio really well) and a pair of 20.1's, and I'm very happy with it.

In regards to the digital vs analog debate, I'm happy with both. For convenience and enjoyment however - it's streaming all the way for me!

chirhonix

My history with streaming

My history with streaming

I started streaming music with Logitech Squeezebox server aka Logitech mediaserver on a Linux machine and a Logitech Squeezebox touch, a Logitech Squeezebox radio and a Logitech Squeezbox receiver in living room bedroom and kitchen respectively. So I was able to stream flac, mp3, ogg and some more audio files. As Logitech gave up on the Squeezebox the open source community stepped in. Later I streamed through Logitechmediaserver Spotify with ogg at 320 kb/s.

Now my Logitechmediaserver and my music files are on a Synology NAS DNS215j and I can stream my music files and Qobuz with high quality flac (red book). Couldn't be better.

fred40

Naim streaming

Naim streaming

Streaming is the way to go. And Naim does a really good job. As for the topic starters question. Try some low budget streamers and see what kind of interface you like the most. Then get yourself a good streamer ( linn. Naim.).

Naim has there one dedicated streamer interface ( N.Dac) some love and some people hate it.

denjo

Enjoying streamed convenience

Enjoying streamed convenience

I think streaming is the future of music! Airplay works best for me. Its simple, convenient and Apple products just work!

I have a Sonos in the bedroom, linked to Apple Music and Spotify! What more can I ask for but listen an enjoy the music!