• Welcome to the all-new HUG. All content has been converted from the old system, and over the next days we will re-style HUG in a more familiar way.

Which turntables do You use?

kerouack

Hello IMF+TDL,
Seems a good option, the Audio Technica LP5, and can be found for 370 euros including a capsule. Other more expensive direct drive options seems more for Djs like the Pioneer PLX-1000, AT LP1240 , Reloop RP 7000 Mk2, DENON VL-12 , so idont know if for HIFI are better than the LP5.

IMF+TDL

kerouack said:
Hello IMF+TDL,
Seems a good option, the Audio Technica LP5, and can be found for 370 euros including a capsule. Other more expensive direct drive options seems more for Djs like the Pioneer PLX-1000, AT LP1240 , Reloop RP 7000 Mk2, DENON VL-12 , so idont know if for HIFI are better than the LP5.
Unlike the Technics, most of the lower priced turntables you mentioned are actually made by Hanpin or Yahorng in Taiwan or China.

Are you buying a second turntable, or trying to find a replacement for your Thorens TD-295?
https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/forum/subjective-soundings-your-views-on-audio/electronics-sources-stands-cables-accessories/analogue-sources-incl-vinyl-discussion/70161-capsule-recomendation-for-a-thorens-295-mk-iii-turntable

keiron99

Milosz said:
Technics has a new SL-1200G model now after they discontinued the classic SL-1200 Mk2 in 2010-2011. Mk2 was always reasonably priced and it was a big part of its charm. Guess how much the new SL-1200G cost? In my country equivalent of 3500 euro or 4500 dollars in its basic form. And there is also much more expensive limited edition model with a magnesium case... Madness. They sell much less units than in the golden age, albeit for much more money per unit.
I think you have to recognise the superb engineering and construction of this deck. It's absolutely nothing like the original except in terms of appearance. The unique motor is quite magnificent and measured performance is better than almost anything available. It's also built like a tank.

In my view, designs from boutique manufacturers based on MDF plinths, stock motors and a rubber band pulling a big acrylic platter all look a little crude (if sometimes more aesthetically pleasing) in comparison.

Reviews from respected reviewers suggest that this turntable is probably about as good as it gets, certainly without having to spend crazy money. It's also dead easy to set up and maintain. In many respects, it's a bit like Harbeth speakers - it may be the last you ever need to buy,

Alas, I do not own one! I do have a "modified" SL1210 Mk2 with an uprated external power supply (I honestly don't know if this makes any difference - it came with it when I bought it) and a Jelco 750 arm. Sounds great. However, I really would like the SL1200G but to be honest, I'm not sure that the £2000 I'd need to find to change to it could easily be justified in terms of performance gain.

gulliver

First post here...Thorens 160mk2 with Origin live onyx tonearm and Hana EL mc cart. Signal goes through Softone SUT to Ear 834 then Primaluna dialogue one and finally Harbeth 30.1.

Ult1mat3X

I just purchased a Uturn Orbit custom and received a Pho-8 as a very generous gift. I arrived at the pair after reading various other threads (THANKS FORUM PEOPLE!)

Have to say I am loving the setup. I was originally sold on the orbit by the ability to add via customization as I was able to spend more (though I ended up splurging on the arm, ortofon red, and acrylic platter up front to save money down the road, oops).

I am no expert like many here on the forums but just wanted to say that it is a very capable setup and I don't regret a single penny spent, by me or my generous gifter.

Regardless of what you decide, there is a LOT of knowledge on the board here, don't be afraid to explore outside of this thread too, there are a lot of {deleted link} and reviews about upgrading or {deleted link}. Excited to see what you end up with. Happy hunting!

witwald

The U-Turn Audio range of turntables is interesting. I hadn't heard of this brand up till now. Choosing to get the turntable with an Ortofon Red phono cartridge makes a lot of sense. It's a great cartridge, and probably brings your turntable close to performance levels of an ancient Linn LP12 (no mods, as it didn't need them back in the 70s), Linn Ittok tonearm, fitted with the superlative Grace F9e Ruby cartridge. Enjoy listening to your LPs!

Ult1mat3X

{Moderator's comment: This appears to be an advert for another web site. It breaks the rules of HUG because HUG is a Manufacturer's Own Forum. What do members thing of HUG being used to advertise non-Harbeth goods?}

Whether you've got lots of old records collecting dust in the attic, or you're a keen member of the vinyl revival movement, turntables can be a fantastic investment.

While the idea of a record player might call images of the '60s and '70s to mind, you'll find that most {deleted link} are pretty well-equipped with the latest tech, like built-in Bluetooth or USB outputs that allows output records straight to your PC, meaning you can listen to your vinyl anywhere.

As a result, sales of turntables in the US have been growing steadily since 2012, with 68,000 units sold in 2018.

My latest addition to the roundup, the Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB is a great example of that, with its inclusion of wireless Bluetooth connectivity for cable-free listening.

One downside it that, as a result of all of these new products and tricky naming conventions, the market for the best turntables can be more confusing than a college cover band (we're looking in your direction AB/CD), but stick with us and we’ll find the best turntable for you.

To start, we'll walk you through all the little details that go into choosing the best record player for your listening needs and budget. Do you want to go on the high end with a belt drive? Or how about a more user-friendly direct drive turntable? What about phono preamps? Do you need one?

All of these questions will be answered right here, so don’t worry, you’ll be absorbed in all of your favorite albums before you know it.

willem

Yes it is an obviously commercial website that earns its money from the clicks they collect and probably also from the actually bought stuff. This is not to say that some of the information is not good, but we have no means to be certain about editorial independence - I would be very skeptical. I think the post is disingenuous.
More generally, I would not think there is much point in limiting the sonic qualities of Harbeth speakers by using vinyl.

Ned Mast

Using HUG to advertise non-Harbeth goods does not seem an appropriate use of the forum. Beyond that, such questions as which amplifier, preamplifier, wires, DAC, etc. do you use with your Harbeth speakers are, I think, not at all productive. The reasons each of us chooses particular audio components are myriad, and are generally not based upon objective criteria that are of significance to other members of HUG. All of us will apply the criteria that we think are important to us.

OD12016

My first post :)
TT: Michell Gyrodec SE
Arm: Origin Live Encounter MK3C
Cartridge: Dynavector DV20X2L
SUT: Rothwell MCX
RIAA: Croft 25R

I am very happy with this setup with the added bonus that my wife loves the look of the deck

Ned Mast

My set up isn't too different from one of KT88's - VPI HW-19 Mk lV, but with Graham model 1.5 T arm, with Grado or Audio Technica cartridge.
One thing I consider important is a way to secure the record tightly to the turntable, be it by weight, clamp, or vacuum. Vacuum hold-down tends to come only on fairly expensive turntables, so weight or clamp may be more practical. I prefer the clamp method.
I mention this particularly because it's my understanding that one of the more popular turntable brands - Rega - does not provide for, or recommend, using a weight or a clamp. If I'm right in this, I would choose another brand that provides for the use of a weight or clamp.

willem

I have had a Linn LP 12 with SME 3009 ii improved arm for ages, originally with a Shure V15 iii cartridge. I must admit it did not get much use anymore because I much prefer the distortion and noise free sound quality of digital sources.

So when I decided earlier this year to abandon all analogue sources, I replaced my Quad 33 pre amplifier with a high quality Dac with volume control (RME ADI-2) but I lost my MM input. My plan had been to sell the turntable, but the family would not have it. So I had the Linn serviced, with a new Shure M97X cartridge, and a Pro-ject Optical Ebox phono pre amp with AD conversion and an optical output.

The result is fine with no obviously rough edges but of course nowhere near the sound quality of a fully digital source. The digital outputs of my Chromecast Audio streamer and of my Bluray player are clearly better. The RME Dac is outstanding and quite a bit better as a preamp than the old Quad 33. But the point for this thread is that the Pro-ject preamp and adc is a very feasible solution.

Milosz

I am still using my Luxman PD-282 turntable but now I’m going to use it with the serviced QUAD 34 pre amplifier with MM input. Main advantage is the tilt tone control on the QUAD that will let me enjoy LP records of a very different quality, of which many benefit from a little equalization here and there. I couldn’t do it with the Atoll phono preamp.

Last edited:

Chazk

I'm using a Rega RP3 with Dynavector 10x5 cartridge and Grado phono amp. While I recognize the fidelity advantages of a good CD or streaming like Tidal, I do still love my vinyl.

Two unexpected vinyl acquisitions this year furthered my attachment to turntables and albums. One, I had a dear friend who I used to listen to a lot of music with passed away and he ended up willing me his record albums. He lived in Germany and I'm back in the states, so a bit of a pain to organize. But I got my first shipment of 50 or so albums and there were some real gems along with some lovely memories of time shared together enjoying good music and stereos.

Second, I just received over 100 near mint condition ECM records from another dear friend who worked for the record pressing plant that worked with ECM. She realized she only streams music now and wanted the albums to go to someone she knew would love them. Even though I'm a long time jazz fan and ECM label supporter, what fun it has been to discover albums and even musicians I wasn't familiar with before.

I happen to live in Oregon and she has some early Oregon band albums that are gorgeous. Especially, both for great early world music and great recording, "Music of Another Present Era".

And these are albums I most likely would have never come across streaming and the like. They also represent fond feelings for both my friends and our musical journeys and tastes embodied in these collections. Not sure why, but I don't think I would have had the same depth of feeling or enjoyment if I was passed along CD's? Maybe it's a sort of sweet nostalgia?

All to say now that I've been living with my SHL5+ for five years, I find myself planning an upgrade to my turntable and cartridge at some point to capture as much of the musical playback possibilities of the vinyl format.